Music Rights Malaysia Berhad is a non-profit organisation and the sole licensing designated by the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO) an agency under the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs, Co-operative and Consumerism (MTDCC) to carry out collective music licence issuance and fee collection activities in Malaysia effective 1st January 2017. We exist to simplify the music licensing process, offering a single music licence that covers both the copyright on the music (owned by the songwriter) and the recording (owned by the record company/artist). MRM provides efficient single music licences to music users providing legal access to use music in all its various form. We collect licence income and distribute this income as royalties to our members. This enables the creation of more music for you to enjoy.
- We help music creators get paid for their work and give music users an easy way to legally play and copy music.
- Royalties keep the music coming and ensure the industry's future.
- Music can be an extremely effective tool for your business, it's creating the right ambience, attracting and keeping the customers and so much more.
- We licence organizations to play, perform, copy, record or make available our members' music.
- Without us businesses would have to contact thousands of songwriters, composers and music publishers directly to obtain their permission to use their music. Likewise, songwriters, composers and music publishers would have to deal with thousands of requests from music users. Through licensing, we make this process simple and straightforward for both parties.
MRM's primary objective is to provide centralised and one-stop collective copyright licensing convenience to both music rights holders and commercial music users in Malaysia. Its functions include licensing business, organisations, and individuals that use copyrighted music in one or more the following ways.
MRM represents the following categories for works, rights and rights holders:
|Musical Works||Exclusive rights of control pursuant to Section 13(1)(a), (aa) & (b) of the Copyright Act 1987||Composers, lyricists and publishers who are members of Music Authorsí Copyright Protection (MACP) Berhad|
|Sound Recordings||Exclusive rights of control pursuant to Section 13(1)(a), (aa) & (b) of the Copyright Act 1987||Recording labels which are members of Public Performance Malaysia Sdn Bhd|
|Performers Rights||Equitable remuneration rights pursuant to Section 16(B) of the Copyright Act 1987||Recording artistes and musicians who are members of Recording Performers Malaysia Bhd (RPM))|
Tun Dato' Seri Zaki bin Tun Azmi
Jack Teo Chen Shin
Dato' Mohd Nasir Bin Mohamed
Ong Chun Eng
Rosmin Bin Hashim
Dato' Shaheila binti Abd Majid
Jacklyn Victor Rivera
Fong Wai Heng
Choy Khin Ming
Jennifah Binti Johari
Yao Mei Sei
Ana Nur Hidayah Binti Mohd Raffali
Yap Fui Ping
Abdurahemsa bin Mohammad Mokhtar
Norsidah bt Ismail
Lau Kim Foo
To achieve fair value for music
To provide an exceptional service
to all stakeholders by:
Fairly and effectively collecting royalties for the commercial use of copyright music
Cost effectively, accurately and rapidly distributing such royalties to right holders
Transparently implementing best corporate governance & international practice
Licensing Body Declaration / Accreditation Certificates